Monday, June 30, 2008

Austin Texas




I've lived in Texas for almost 4 years and in those 4 years this was only my second trip to Austin. My first to Austin wasn't much more than a drunken 2 night stay. When we got there we started drinking and continued drinking until we left. This trip was a major shift in a healthier direction. I still had a good time. Made it to the Gingerman Bar and The Hooters. BUT I also took part in the "Keep Austin Wierd 5K " road race. I was expecting the race to go threw down town Austin and past a number of WIERD bars and/or shops. Sadly that wasn't the case. The 3.1mile race stayed along the Lake in Austin and there wasn't all that much weird to it. Having said that there was a number of runners in costume. I saw Indian Jones, a Magician & his bunny dressed helper, killer bees and "The Cat in the Hat" along with all his friends (even Thing 1 & Thing 2).

The highlight of the trip was just wondering around town. I'm not a big fan of Texas, most of the cities here are a little full of themselves, NOT Austin. There were small shops all around, even a a streamline camper that sold huge cupcakes. A number of the places I was able to visit my girlfriend had tracked down. The coolest thing that I got to see on my weekend get away was the congress street bridge at dusk! That's when all the bats fly out. It's the weirdest thing to see. A steady stream of bats just start flying out of the cracks under the bridge. It's not just 1 or 2 but hundreds. It was like being in the batcave. All that was missing was a man walking arond in a cape.

Another highlight during My Austin trip was getting to see Lance Armstrong's own cycling shop called, "Mellow Johnny's". The shop wasn't anything special. The nicest thing about was the coffee shop that is attached to the shop. Which was really cool. The Shop was just 3 blocks of the cycling path that goes threw Austin and just 3 block over from the Gingerman Bar (a great place to drink).